Residents’ Case Challenge
Invitation to submit your cases to the Eighth Annual Residents' Case Challenge at
Arrhythmia Update+ 2019
Dear residents and fellows:
The Arrhythmia Update+ Planning Committee is pleased to invite all cardiology residents and subspecialty fellows to
submit an interesting case for presentation as part of the 8th Annual Residents’ Case
Challenge which will take place during the Arrhythmia Update+ conference in Whistler, British
Columbia. Five to six finalists will be chosen to present their cases at the meeting. The Residents’
Case Challenge is co-chaired by Dr. Beth L. Abramson and Dr. Adrian Baranchuk.
Terms of reference:
- Applicants are asked to submit their application as a two-page abstract (~500 words
double-spaced) of their chosen case.
- Submitted cases must first and foremost have educational value and can be on any topic
in clinical cardiology. While rare diagnoses may be more exciting, the more common cases are often
more applicable to practice and have more educational value.
- Clearly identify your teaching points and take-away message(s). All final presentations will be
required to have one or more “take-home points” relevant to a practicing cardiologist.
- You may indicate that you plan on presenting some graphics but do not include the graphics with your submission.
- Submissions must be sent to Maëlle Gallois at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline to submit: November 15th 2018, at 5:00 p.m. EST
- Finalists will be notified by December 3rd, 2018
- Finalists must be available to travel to Whistler, BC on Feb. 6th – 9th, 2019
- Selected residents will be expected to submit their slides for review and suggestions for improvement (and
online interaction with both co-chairs) by
January 11, 2019.
- Cases submitted will be reviewed, and the six residents whose cases are selected will be invited to
attend the conference and present their cases live to all attendees, on the afternoon of Thursday,
February 7th, during the two-hour Residents’ Case Challenge session.
- The conference organizers are pleased to provide finalists a flight in economy to Whistler, bus transfer, and
three (3) nights’ accommodation at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler.
- In order to foster professional relationships among trainees and the attendees, the selected residents are
expected to attend the entire meeting (including workshops) along with the welcome reception where they will
meet Dr. Abramson and Dr. Baranchuk.
- We recommend no more than 15 slides, including all graphics for a 15-minute presentation.
- The author of the best presentation will be decided by the conference attendees and announced at the end of the
We look forward to receiving your submissions!
For more information, email email@example.com
Adrian Baranchuk, MD, FACC, FRCPC, FCCS
Professor of Medicine (Tenure)
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Electrocardiology
Society of Electrocardiology
Beth L. Abramson, MD MSc FRCP FACC
Paul Albrechtsen Professor in Cardiac Prevention and Women’s Health
Associate Professor of Medicine,
University of Toronto
Director, Cardiac Prevention Centre & Women’s CV Health, St. Michael's